Quality & Safety
Patient Safety Is Priority One
Patient safety is our No. 1 priority at Helen DeVos Children's Hospital. In late 2007, we set a goal to become the safest children's hospital in the nation and began developing a holistic, progressive approach to patient care.
Since then, we have seen remarkable changes in how we see, think and act at every level. We introduced safety behavior training, which:
- Pursued new goals with intensity, teamwork and accountability
- Broke through traditional hierarchies and barriers
- Created an atmosphere that fosters honest communication among staff
- Trained employees to be proactive, with a focus on prevention, instead of reactive
- Encouraged up-front sharing to prevent potential errors
We Help Lead the Way
Every hospital wants patients to be safe. What sets Helen DeVos Children's Hospital apart is what we've done to ensure that goal is a reality. To date:
- More than 4,000 employees, from executives to physicians to front-line staff, have completed safety behavior training.
- We are developing safety programs, trainings and education with local nursing and medical schools for physicians, residents, nurses, medical students and graduate students.
- We collaborate with hospitals and organizations throughout the state and nation to ensure pediatric patients and their families receive high quality care, no matter where they're treated.
- We continue to measure our efforts and outcomes, so we can track and report our progress.