Print    Email
Decrease (-) Restore Default Increase (+)
    
Poison Information

Poison Information

If you suspect that someone has ingested or inhaled poison, or has poison on the skin or in the eyes, call (800) 222-1222 immediately. All questions are important.

When calling the poison center, please know:

  • Age and weight of the poisoning victim
  • Name of the poison product and amount involved in the exposure
  • Time the exposure happened
  • Any symptoms occurring right now
  • Any first-aid measures you have already given the victim
  • Your name and telephone number

Guidelines for Treating Poison Exposure

Inhaled poisons - Immediately get the person to fresh air. Avoid breathing fumes. Open doors and windows. If victim is not breathing call 911 and start artificial respiration.

Poison to the skin - Remove contaminated clothing and flood skin with water for 10 minutes, then wash gently with soap and water and rinse.

Poison in the eye - Flood the eye with lukewarm (not hot) water poured from a large glass two or three inches from the eye. Repeat for 15 minutes. Have patient blink as much as possible while flooding the eye. Do not force the eyelid open.

Swallowed poisons - If medicine, do not give anything by mouth until calling for advice. If chemical or household products, call 911 if the victim is unconscious, having convulsions or cannot swallow. Otherwise, give milk or water immediately, then call for professional advice about whether or not you should make the patient vomit.