Safety Tips: Fire and Burns
- Do not leave children alone around open flames, stoves or candles.
- Keep matches, gasoline, lighters and other flammable materials out of children's reach.
- Teach children a plan for escaping your home in a fire and practice it.
- Install smoke alarms in your home on every level and in every sleeping area.
- Test them once a month.
- Replace the batteries at least twice a year.
- Replace alarms every 10 years.
- Before bathing children in heated water, always run your open hand through the water to check its temperature.
- Keep hot foods and liquids away from table and counter edges. Never carry children and hot foods or liquids at the same time.
- Keep things that easily catch fire (such as papers) away from heat sources like stoves, heaters and fireplaces.
Click here for a downloadable Fire Safety Booklet