It's what's inside that counts. One thing has always been clear: it's not about the brick and mortar, but the care within. Special features of the new Helen DeVos Children's Hospital include:
- A healing environment celebrating natural elements such as water, land, sky and sun
- An outdoor garden accessible from the main lobby
- Artwork created by children with the help of area artists
- Spacious private rooms to accommodate overnight patients and their families
- Areas for play and entertainment
- A top floor featuring special amenities for families
- Quiet spaces and a chapel for all faiths
Patients and families visiting Helen DeVos Children's Hospital have three parking options. Valet parking will be available in the circle drive off Michigan Street, valet parking will be offered for patients going to the emergency department and all other patients will park under 35 Michigan Street. Valet is free of charge for those with handicap parking permits and those visiting the emergency department.
- Underground valet parking for the emergency department
- Meeting rooms and office space for clinical staff
View Floor D Details
This floor is dedicated to our pediatric emergency department, clinical decision unit, sedation services, pediatric radiology and laboratory. The emergency department staff is solely dedicated to pediatrics. Floor C can be accessed from Bostwick Avenue.
View Floor C Details
This floor is dedicated to our state-of-the-art cardiac catheterization lab and inpatient and outpatient surgery services including preparation and Phase I recovery. Surgical procedures performed include: general, neuroscience, orthopedic, plastic, eyes, ears, nose, throat, urologic,gynecologic and cardiothoracic.
View Floor A Details
The two-story main lobby offers a spacious and welcoming first impression to families, children and visitors. This floor features access to and from the Spectrum Health Butterworth Hospital lobby, and a bridge from the the 35 Michigan St. ambulatory care center which will open in the Summer of 2011.
This floor also includes:
- gift shop
- outdoor children's garden
- interactive play area
- classroom space
View Floor 1 Details
The neonatal intensive care unit (NICU) has expanded to care for more premature and critically ill newborns. Helen DeVos Children's Hospital has the 11th largest NICU in the nation with 103 beds.
View Floor 3 Details
A behind-the-scenes but critical space, this floor houses mechanical and ventilation equipment and services.
This is a shelled space for future expansion.
This medical surgical unit is dedicated to children recovering from general surgery and children being treated for various medical diagnoses including gastrointestinal, pulmonary and infectious diseases.
View Floor 6 Details
This floor is dedicated to children recovering from cardiac surgery, general surgery, orthopedic surgery, kidney transplantation (renal inpatients and dialysis inpatients), nephrology, endocrinology and other complex medical conditions.
View Floor 7 Details
A 24-bed pediatric critical care unit for children with life-threatening illness or traumatic injuries, or for those recovering from major operations. Each room has a private bathroom.This floor also houses the inpatient hospital pharmacy and serves as a resource to three other satellite pharmacies throughout the hospital, improving patient safety.
View Floor 8 Details
This floor is dedicated to children with cancer and blood disorders, children recovering from bone marrow transplant, neurosurgery and trauma.
Child and Family Features
- Two consultation rooms for families to meet with caregivers
- Play room
- Family seating
- Quiet seating with a view (behind elevators on each floor)
- Family nourishment rooms
- Two consultation rooms with Picture Archiving Communication System (PACS) to review radiology images
View Floor 9 Details
This floor is home to our outpatient pediatric hematology/oncology, bone marrow transplant and infusion therapy programs and outpatient cardiology services.
View Floor 10 Details
This floor is dedicated to family rest and rejuvenation.
- Multi-faith chapel/spiritual space with 24-hour access
- Pastoral care available on-site from 8 a.m. to 6 p.m. (until 8 p.m. in the NICU) Monday through Friday and on-call for emergencies during other times/days
- Enclosed, circular chapel with skylight, stained glass, flexible seating and a built-in circular bench around the perimeter
- Children's play area
- Family laundry facilities
- Kitchenette for families includes two dishwashers, sinks and microwaves
View Floor 11 Details